Jan 7, 2008

Seeing Things : Ghost Polaroids


I spent last Halloween on a sort of ad hoc art crawl. Our first stop was John Matkowsky's dkrm Gallery, located in the Capitol Studios Building in Glassell Park.
This cool old building is also home to Another year in LA and Shotgun Space so you can hit more than one opening at a time. We mostly hung out in the gallery, chatting with other people there. It was a nice place, and could probably handle some pretty big parties. The exhibit was a collection of Polaroids taken of ghostly forms and messages that appeared only on film in a Los Angeles home.

I naturally expected the photographs to be a hoax. I believe in ghosts, monsters in my closet, Buddha and God at 4am when I hear a bump in the night. But otherwise, I'm a natural-born skeptic.I spent the entire time in the gallery rolling my eyes and loudly debunking the "ghostly" writing on some of the Polaroids. The writing was just too clear. It is so easy to manipulate a wet Polaroid. You can write on them while you wait for them to develop. The ones that were a little creepier were the photos with smoky, ectoplasmic blobs.

I was impressed by the sheer dedication of the work as an art project. Even if they were fakes, they were interesting, and my friend found some of the ghostly responses beautiful and profound. Q: What does the universe want from me? Ghostly Response: Just Listen. After checking out the photos, we were just kind of drinking and playing around. I had covered myself with glow-in-the-dark stars for Halloween. We were taking pictures in the dark bathroom, trying to get a photo of the stars glowing by cracking the door a little at a time.
Here is a picture my friend took of me in silhouette. I was standing still. There was no smoking in the gallery and no smoke machine. My friend who was standing behind me was dressed all in black and standing perfectly still. So why are there wispy, feathery tendrils above my left shoulder?

Certain photography and photoshop "experts" here at LAist have this explanation: The shutter opened for a long time because it was so dark, causing everything to blur. That's what most photos look like in a dark environment. I don't see smoke at all, I see image distortion. Pieces of things being duplicated over and over because the camera had moved slightly. (Bobby S)

by www.thesupernaturalworld.co.uk

0 comments: